Depending on the state accreditation standards, medical assisting programs and classes vary across the globe.
However, there are few basic subjects, which are taught in all schools. Following are few of these:
- Patient care: As medical assistant needs to deal with patients majorly. Therefore, the foremost class which is taken during training is of patient care. Proper ways of how to take care of patients, reviewing patient charts, record management, front office job tasks and medical terminology are few programs in, which students are made skilled.
- Bacteriology: Hygienic level is important to be maintained in medical health centers. This is where importance of sterilization is vital subject which is covered during training. Proper methods of sterilization and basic laws initiated by the various health governmental agencies are told to medical assistants.
- Pharmacology: Study on medicines is taught in this subject. Basic therapeutic drugs names and proper methods of administering those medicines are taught in pharmacology classes in medical assistant school.
- Medical Insurance: Front office duties of medical assistant comprise of managing bills of patients and interacting with health care insurance companies. During the class, students are taught insurance terminologies and ways to carry out the process of patients insurance bills.
- Bookkeeping: Basic financial management, medical billing & coding and basic accounting skills are taught.
- Health sciences: Guidelines for good nutrition and weight control strategies are important to learn by assistants so that they can make patients aware about it.
- Cardiopulmonary: Most school teaches CPR (Cardiopulmonary), which helps students know about circulatory and respiratory systems.
- Electrocardiography: In this subject, assistant is prepared to check patient’s heart’s movement by applying EKG or ECG leads on them.
- Laboratory procedures: This subject makes students teach how to handle the procedures for various bio specimens.
- Endocrinology and reproduction: Overview of the skeletal, endocrine, and reproductive systems are taught in Endocrinology and Reproduction subject.
- Medical law & ethics: For a medical professional it is important to adhere all the duties legally that too based on the medical laws and ethics. Therefore, during training, assistants will learn the principals and rules that they need to follow when working in a health care center.
- Externship/Internship: To provide real hands on experience to students, they are taken for internship or externship program. This involves spending several hours in a medical facility under the guidance of higher medical authorities. This will allows students to gain confidence.